7/15/12

Recipe: Tinola sa Buko

Tinolang Manok sa Buko

Tinola, a traditional Filipino soup 

I got this delicious recipe from the Dish article of the June 2011 issue of Preview (a fashion magazine from the Philippines)

As soon as I saw this while reading this issue last year, I asked our cook to make it right away!

Tinola sa Buko
(Chef Giney Villar of Adarna Food and Culture updates a classic)
1 whole chicken
1 piece unripe papaya, peeled and sliced
1 small ginger
1/2 garlic bulb
3-4 cups of coconut water (buko)
1/2 tablespoons peppercorn
Fresh pepper leaves
2 tablespoons oil
Fish sauce (patis) to taste

1. In a casserole, heat oil and saute garlic, ginger and peppercorns until garlic browns.
2. Add chicken and season with patis, then cover pot to infuse flavor.
3. Add coconut water and cook until chicken is tender (1 - 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of the chicken)
4. Add in papaya in the last 10 minutes, followed by pepper leaves right before switching off heat (we also added in some coconut meat). Serve hot.

It's perfect for lunch on a Sunday. Try it and tell me how it goes! 

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter and Instagram!!

6 comments:

  1. hm this actually sounds quite yummy!! and thank you so much jessica!! :)

    www.hapatime.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! :)

    This looks delicious! I don't cook much but I think I should try this out! I'm Filipino and I wish I had learned how to cook Filipino food when I was younger. I know I can still learn but I don't have the patience. Lol. I gotta push myself~

    Have a wonderful day!

    -Char

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Char, thank you!! I say go for it! I don't cook much either but the recipe's pretty simple so I'm sure you'll get it perfect on your first try. Don't forget to tell me how it goes and goodluck!! :) Feel free to message me for some more Filipino recipes if you'd like!

      ♥ https://twitter.com/jessicachoy

      Delete
    2. It's Great! a different version from the ordinary tinola. You should also try Tinola sa Pakwan it's also refreshing! Thanks! Jessica <3

      Delete
    3. Sounds interesting!! Will give it a try soon :) Thanks for your suggestion!

      Delete