7/30/13

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka

"The legendary ramen brand that offers the same family recipe since 1988, enjoyed throughout Japan and in other international cities such as Taipei, Malaysia, Singapore, Hongkong, Indonesia, USA and Canada is now open in Manila!"
Salmon Salad PHP 250
Not bad, but had too many onions and too little salmon. I think my mom was expecting something like a crunchy tuna salad, in terms of the amount of raw fish, when she ordered this.
Small Ramen & Salmon and Prawn Sushi Set PHP 510 (excluding the egg)
*with your choice of soup base: shio (salt), shoyu (soy sauce), miso (soybean paste), and kara-miso (hot soybean paste, + PHP20)


Aside from the ramen; the set includes salmon and prawn sushi, chawanmushi, salad and pickled vegetables. I ordered a side of Komi-Tamago (Japanese marinated soft boiled egg) PHP 50, which isn't included in the set menu. A bowl of ramen for me isn't complete without my ajitsuke tamago, and I'm very particular about it. The yolk was quite runny but all the flavors were still there - better undercooked than overcooked in my opinion!
I decided to go for a shio (salt) soup base, since it's the most popular among all the soup bases according to the waitress. The ramen comes with a thick slab of tender and fatty pork, and a few other things like fish cake.

What sets ramen bars apart from one another, are their noodles and bases which aren't necessarily better or worse, it's just different and unique from one another. There isn't really a way to tell what the best ramen bar is in a place; because it's all in the matter of finding what ramen bar's noodles, bases, textures and flavors appeal to you the most. 
Large Tokusen Toroniku Ramen (Specialty Ramen) PHP 490
*with your choice of soup base: shio (salt), shoyu (soy sauce), miso (soybean paste), and kara-miso (hot soybean paste, + PHP20)

My parents chose a shio soup base for the large ramen they were going to split, since the waitress told us that it's the most popular among all bases. 
Roasted Pork Cheeks 
"Extremely valuable parts, only 200 - 300g / whole pig. Served daily in limited quantity."

Now this, is what I would come back for and what I think sets Santouka apart from other ramen bars in Metro Manila. This is the only ramen restaurant where I've tried roasted pork cheeks, and they're delicious. I was quite skeptical at first but gave in and tried it, and I'm glad I did! It's extremely tender and soft, not tough or dry at all like what it seems it would be like when you look at it. Full of flavor, too. If you haven't tried this yet I highly recommend ordering the Tokusen Toroniku Ramen or just ordering a side of this for PHP 250.

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka 
Address: G/F Glorietta 4, Ayala Center, Makati City (beside Mercury Drug, across Forever 21)
Other Branch: Second Level Mall of Asia 
Telephone No.: 728-1381
Mobile No.: (0917) 847-6087

25 comments:

  1. When I see Ramen I think of the American form of ramen, which is just noodles in a microwaveable cup. I have never tried it though! This all looks delish :)

    Ring-a-Round a Rosey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes!! You need to try some real ramen, it'll change your life ♥

      Delete
  2. Looks so yummy :D

    http://byizis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really delicious, I would love to try it!

    xx

    http://andysparkles.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some branches in other countries, maybe you can find one near you! :)

      Delete
  4. When you mentioned they have a location in Canada, I immediately googled their Canadian location and yay, they have one in Toronto! I'll definietly stop by on my next food outing!

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly the best but it's really really good. Try the roasted pork cheeks! Sounds weird I know but it's delicious :D

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog, shall we follow each other?
      X

      Delete
  6. That looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything was delicious, the roasted pork cheeks were really something to try :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Rakel! Checking it out now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. follow you back! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, all this food looks delicious!!! I love sushi and ramen, it's one of my weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god sweetie that place all the food looks delicious.
    Now I want eat japanese food.
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum!

    lots of love from the casper&pearl girls – a little Aussie fashion brand
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, now you're making me crave ramen. AHH! I hate onions on salad ;P I'm sure if they added more salmon, it would have been better!

    -Char
    charsd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im reading this at 10pm aus time.. im totally craving some good japanese food..
      food posts seriously shouldnt even be viewable at this time of day *cries* haha
      love the pictures :D

      www.twoplicates.blogspot.com

      Delete
  14. This food looks delicious and now you have made me starving late at night! I would love some of that ramen right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks delicious! Would you like follow each other?

    ReplyDelete